Pages

Monday, 3 August 2026

Standing Orders


Standing Orders


I unlocked the chamber on the mornings the old calendar still named, even though the calendar itself had been superseded. The new governance no longer required the room. Decisions were taken elsewhere, under different procedures, by people who did not need to sit in the same air in order to reach agreement. Physical presence had been reclassified as optional, then as inefficient, then as obsolete. The standing orders that once governed the use of the chamber had been formally withdrawn.

I continued to observe them.

The room retained its original proportions: high windows, a long table scarred by decades of elbows and papers, chairs whose leather had cracked into a pattern no longer produced. I opened the windows in the prescribed order, beginning with the one that faced the prevailing wind. I laid out the blotting paper and the water carafes at the intervals the former clerks had used. I placed the small wooden gavel at the head of the table, not because anyone would strike it, but because the standing orders had required it to be present before any session could be considered properly opened.

No session occurred.

The dynamic was precise. Governance, in its newer form, had achieved a kind of frictionless continuity. Proposals moved through screens. Consensus, or its functional equivalent, could be registered without the slow accumulation of spoken disagreement in a shared space. The cost of sequential attention—of waiting while another voice completed its thought—had been removed. What remained in the chamber was the older cost: the preparation of a space in which disagreement had once been required to take physical form before it could be resolved.

I did not restore the authority of the room. Authority had been relocated by proper process. What I maintained was the residual sequence of readiness. Readiness, once the decisions have moved elsewhere, becomes a form without instrumentality. Most systems treat such forms as waste. I treated the form as the part that had always revealed the character of the process more clearly than the decisions themselves.

Dust settled differently in a room that was prepared but never used. I noted the difference in the small book I kept at the rear of the chamber. The book contained no minutes. Minutes require motions and resolutions. What I recorded were the variations in the quality of the air after the windows had been opened according to the old order, and the resistance of the gavel’s wood when I lifted it and set it down again. Resistance, like the lag of spoken deliberation, is information that streamlined systems prefer not to carry.

Occasionally a caretaker from the newer administration would enter to check the fire extinguishers or the emergency lighting. They would look at the arranged table and the open windows with the mild perplexity reserved for practices that have outlasted their explanation. I offered none. Explanation would have converted the preparation into a claim, and a claim seeks recognition from the system that has already moved on. The standing orders, in their residual state, required no recognition in order to continue.

In the late afternoons the light entered at the angle the original builders had calculated for the hours when debate was expected to be most difficult. The light still arrived. The debate did not. I closed the windows in reverse sequence, returned the gavel to its drawer, and locked the door. The key still fitted. The lock had not been changed. Changing it would have required an attention to residual detail that the current arrangements had no reason to spend.

I left the chamber each time with the papers squared and the carafes emptied. The corridor outside led toward offices where the new governance proceeded without reference to the room I had just closed. That separation was the point. The newer form did not need to forbid the older sequence. It needed only to stop requiring it. What is no longer required is free to persist, for a while, as pure form.

The standing orders had once existed to ensure that power could not move faster than the capacity of those present to follow it. In their residual state they ensured nothing of the kind. They simply continued to mark the pace at which a certain kind of attention had once been willing to move. I kept the mark. The systems that no longer used it did not interfere. Interference would have cost them the very efficiency they had been designed to protect.



The Residual Traject Contents

Philosophical Implications of Ritual


No comments:

Post a Comment