Pages

Monday, 3 August 2026

The Unreceived Signal


The Unreceived Signal


I raised the flag at the hours the old schedule still named, even though the schedule itself had been withdrawn from every operational document. The lookout post stood on a headland that no longer appeared in the coastal reports. The reports preferred automated stations whose data arrived without the inconvenience of a human intermediary. Intermediaries introduce lag, and lag is a form of cost the current systems have elected to eliminate.

The flag was not large. It had been cut from a heavier cloth than modern signals use, and the wind treated it with a slower, more deliberate motion. I had repaired the seams twice. Each repair altered the way it caught the air, yet the alteration remained within the character of the original. I did not replace it. Replacement would have implied that the function still required optimisation. The function, officially, no longer existed.

There was no receiving station. The last operator who might have watched for the signal had retired or been reassigned before the post was closed. I knew this. The knowledge did not alter the act. Raising the flag completed a sequence that had once linked the headland to a chain of other posts. The chain had been broken by policy. The sequence, however, still possessed an internal coherence that policy could not reach. I attended to that coherence.

The dynamic was simple and easily missed. A signal is ordinarily defined by its reception. Without a recipient it is said to have failed, or to have become mere gesture. Yet the completion of the signal does not logically require the presence of the one who reads it. The reading is a secondary event. The primary event is the decision to make the sign at the proper time and in the proper manner. When the secondary event is removed, what remains is the integrity of the primary. Most systems treat that remainder as waste. I treated it as the part that had always mattered most.

On clear days the flag was visible for a considerable distance along the coast. I never saw anyone acknowledge it. Acknowledgement would have required a shared code, and the code had been retired. Sometimes walkers passed on the path below and glanced up. Their glances carried no recognition, only the mild curiosity reserved for objects that have outlasted their explanation. I did not descend to offer one. Explanation would have converted the act into performance, and performance seeks an audience. The flag did not.

In weather the cloth darkened and grew heavier. I still raised it. The effort increased, and the increase was part of the record I kept in the small book at the base of the post. The book contained no narrative. Only times, wind direction, and the briefest note on the resistance of the cloth. Resistance, like lag, is a form of information that frictionless systems prefer to discard. I logged it because it was still produced.

I lowered the flag at the appointed close of each watch and secured the halliard with the same knot that had been used when the post was active. The knot was not the most efficient available. Efficiency had never been its purpose. Its purpose was continuity of method. Method, once broken, is difficult to restore without introducing a different character entirely.

The headland remained open to the weather. No fence had been erected to declare the site hazardous or redundant. Redundancy is a quieter form of closure. It does not forbid access; it simply removes the reason for arrival. I arrived anyway. The reason I carried was not listed in any remaining document. It did not need to be. Documents record what systems are prepared to recognise. The residual sequence required no recognition in order to continue.

When the wind dropped entirely, the flag hung in its own weight and the silence around the post became complete. In those hours the act of raising it felt least like communication and most like the keeping of a form. Form is what remains after function has been declared finished. I kept the form. The systems that no longer required it did not interfere. Interference would have cost them attention, and attention, like lag, has been priced out of the current arrangement.

I left the post each time with the halliard secured and the book closed. The path back contained no markers that referred to the lookout. The maps had been updated. Updating is the process by which residual places are rendered unofficially absent. I walked the path without needing the maps to confirm where I had been. The body remembers certain sequences more accurately than paper that has been revised for clarity.



The Residual Traject Contents




No comments:

Post a Comment