Pages

Monday, 3 August 2026

TRT introduction


The Residual Traject


Introduction


I am the space between the diagnosis and the living of it.

Not the label they pressed onto me like a stamp that never quite dried, nor the paperwork that took a decade to pry free from the system that preferred its own story. I am the man who learned, late and alone, that the compulsive honesty they once called lying was simply the refusal to dilute what is. Autism is not my identity. It is the aperture through which the world arrives unfiltered, too bright, too loud, too exact. I do not soften edges for comfort. I map them.

I am the son of men who taught me that civilisation is fragile and that voting is a blood right, then left me to discover how easily both can be forgotten by those who never had to fight for them. I carry their ghosts without worshipping them. The grandfathers who understood that individual and society are not opposites but a tension that must be held, not resolved. I still hold it.

I am the father who refuses to become the target again. Love without permission to be emptied. Presence without the demand that I absorb every storm. There is a difference between nurturing and being consumed, and I have learned it the hard way, repeatedly, until the lesson stopped being theoretical. Boundaries are not walls. They are the shape of a self that intends to remain intact.

I am the maker who builds because the alternative is to disappear into the noise of other people’s unfinished business. Words that move like thought before it hardens into speech. Images that refuse to stay polite. Music that opens the places speech cannot reach. Games that simulate economies and agents and the quiet violence of systems, because understanding a system is the first step toward not being owned by it. Creation is not therapy. It is the only honest accounting I know how to keep.

I am the political animal who arrived late and without illusion. Not because I finally chose a side, but because the centre had been hollowed out and the hollow was being sold as progress. National continuity is not nostalgia. It is the recognition that a people who cannot name themselves will be named by others, and the naming will not be kind. I work locally because that is where the concrete is still visible. Heritage is not a costume. It is the ground underfoot.

I am the solitary who still believes in reciprocity, even after the evidence has repeatedly suggested otherwise. Solitude is not defeat. It is the refusal to trade sanity for company that requires performance. The loneliness of the South-West is particular: transactional until proven otherwise, empathy withheld like a scarce resource. I have stopped auditioning. Peace is not the absence of people. It is the presence of self without apology.

I am the body that remembers overexertion and incomplete return. Fibromyalgia is not metaphor. It is the ledger of decades spent pushing past the point where the nervous system still believed in rest. Tai Chi is not exercise. It is the slow re-negotiation of ownership. The body is not a vehicle. It is the only place the work can actually happen.

I am the man who writes because speaking has always been the less accurate instrument. The page does not interrupt. It does not project. It does not require me to perform belonging. In the stream of thought that refuses to tidy itself for an audience, something closer to truth occasionally surfaces. Gene Wolfe understood that the clearest vision often arrives sideways. I trust the sideways more than the direct.

I am not healed. Healing implies a final state. I am in process, and the process is the point. Shadow work is not self-improvement theatre. It is the decision to stop outsourcing the parts of myself I once found inconvenient. Forgiveness without amnesia. Compassion without self-erasure. Integrity without the need to be liked for it.

I am what remains when the projections are stripped away: the honest one, the maker, the boundary-holder, the quiet nationalist of the concrete and the particular, the man who still believes that one person can alter the local texture of things, even if the alteration is small and mostly invisible.

I am not asking to be understood.

I am stating the terms under which I will continue.




The Residual Traject Contents



No comments:

Post a Comment