Monday, 3 August 2026

The Boundary Man

 

The Boundary Man


I measured the distance between the last house and the open ground three times before I accepted it was real. Not the distance itself of forty-seven paces. Ordinary enough but the way the air changed when I crossed it. On the town side the air carried other people’s unfinished sentences. On the open side it carried nothing that required answering.

They had begun calling me the Boundary Man without ever speaking the name to my face. Names given in absence are the only ones that stick. I did not correct them. Correction would have required entering the conversation, and conversation was the first thing the boundary had taught me to refuse.

The town itself was ordinary in the way all towns become ordinary once you stop believing their stories. Streets arranged for convenience rather than memory. Houses that faced one another as if proximity equalled kinship. A church whose bell still rang the hours although almost no one marked them. I had lived inside that arrangement long enough to know its grammar. The grammar was simple: perform belonging or be rewritten as absence.

I stopped performing on a Tuesday in late autumn when the light had already begun to thin. Nothing dramatic occurred. A neighbour asked a question that assumed I shared his irritation with the world. I answered with the truth of the matter as I saw it. The silence that followed was not shocked. It was calculating. In that silence I understood that honesty had become a technology the town no longer possessed the tools to process.

So I walked the forty-seven paces and stayed.

The open ground was not empty. It held the residue of older arrangements—stone fragments that might once have been field boundaries, the faint ridge of a track that no longer led anywhere useful. I built nothing at first. Building would have looked like a claim, and claims invite negotiation. I simply remained. The body learns quickly when the nervous system is no longer required to translate itself for an audience.

At night the town’s lights made a soft orange smear against the low cloud. I watched them the way one watches a machine that has begun to fail in interesting ways. Sometimes figures appeared at the edge of the light and looked outward. They never crossed. The boundary was not a wall. It was a decision that had become visible.

I began to keep a record, not of events—there were few—but of the quality of attention required to remain where I was. Attention is a muscle. Most people exercise it only in the presence of others. Alone it grows strange and precise. I noticed the way frost formed differently on the northern faces of the stones. I noticed that certain birds refused the town’s airspace entirely. I noticed that the old track, though disused, still held a faint magnetic pull, as if the land itself remembered a purpose the people had forgotten.

One evening a boy from the town came as far as the boundary and stopped. He was perhaps sixteen. He did not speak. He simply stood there long enough for the light to change. When he finally turned back I felt no triumph and no regret. He had seen the distance. That was enough. Some distances, once measured, cannot be unmeasured.

I do not know how long I will remain here. The question itself belongs to the old grammar. Duration is a concern of those who still believe the story is about them. I am no longer certain the story requires a protagonist. Perhaps it only requires a witness who refuses to be rewritten.

The boundary does not protect me.

It simply makes visible the place where I end and the rest of it begins.

And that, for now, is sufficient.



The Residual Traject Contents


No comments:

Post a Comment