An Unconsulted Beat
I climbed the tower on the first Thursday of each month because that was the interval the mechanism preferred. More frequent attention made it restless. Less frequent allowed the dust to settle into the teeth of the gears and change the quality of the escape. The official notices had declared the clock decorative twelve years earlier. Decorative is a word that permits neglect while preserving appearance. I was not concerned with appearance.
The stairwell still smelled of old stone and the faint metallic breath of the movement above. No one else used the stairs. The door at the base had been left unlocked for so long that the lock itself had become ornamental. I carried a small tin of oil, a soft cloth, and a notebook that recorded only the variations in the beat. The variations were never large. They were simply the kind of discrepancies that accumulate when a thing is allowed to remain itself rather than being corrected into perfect agreement with an external standard.
The network time that governed the town was frictionless and identical in every device. It required no climbing, no oil, no listening. It updated itself without residual cost. The tower clock retained cost. Each swing of the pendulum still displaced a measurable quantity of air. Each tick still carried the slight asymmetry of metal that had been shaped by hand rather than extruded to tolerance. I timed the beat against a simple mechanical watch that itself required winding. The comparison was never perfect. Perfection belonged to the network. What I maintained was continuity of character.
Sometimes, while standing on the narrow platform beside the movement, I could hear the town below conducting its affairs according to the smoother time. Voices, engines, the brief electronic chime of devices synchronising. None of those sounds entered the tower. The stone filtered them into a distant pressure rather than distinct events. In that separation I understood the dynamic more clearly than any explanation could have managed: systems that achieve total synchronisation must first discard the local resistance that once made time feel inhabited. The resistance is not inefficiency. It is the trace of effort that proves a thing has been kept rather than merely displayed.
I did not adjust the clock to match the network. That would have been a different kind of maintenance, one that accepted the declaration of decorative status and performed within it. I adjusted it only to itself—to the beat it had kept before the notices were issued. The difference between the two times was never dramatic. A few seconds each day. Enough to be noticed by anyone who still looked up, and almost no one did. Looking up had become unnecessary. Necessity is the first casualty of frictionless systems.
On the rare occasions when a visitor climbed the stairs out of curiosity, they would ask whether the clock was still “working.” I answered that it was keeping its own time. The distinction usually ended the conversation. Most people prefer a single answer that resolves the object into usefulness or obsolescence. Residual accuracy offers neither. It simply continues.
I closed the notebook after each visit, wiped the last of the oil from my hands, and descended. The door at the base remained unlocked. I never locked it. Locking would have implied that the mechanism required protection from a world that had already decided it no longer needed protection. The decision to keep the beat was quieter than that. It required only that someone still climb the stairs and listen.
The network did not register the discrepancy. That, too, was part of the arrangement. What is not registered cannot be corrected. What cannot be corrected is allowed, for a little longer, to remain.
No comments:
Post a Comment