The Residual Archive
I was given the key without ceremony and without explanation of what the key unlocked. The building itself stood at the end of a service road that no longer appeared on the current maps. The maps had been updated for efficiency. Efficiency has little patience for residual structures.
Inside, the air held the particular stillness of paper that has not been disturbed for a long time. The shelves were not ordered by date or sender or subject. They were ordered by the quality of the decision that had left each item unclaimed. I learned this only after weeks of handling them. The arrangement was not mine. It had been left by the previous keeper, who had departed without leaving instructions, only the key and a single note that read: Do not improve the system.
I did not improve it.
Most of the material was correspondence that had been written and then withheld. Some had been posted and later disowned. A few were drafts that had never reached the point of decision. None of them were secrets in the ordinary sense. Secrets require an audience that must be denied. These were simply the residue of choices that had been allowed to stand without further commentary.
My work was not to read them for content. Content was secondary. My work was to notice the temperature of the decision that had abandoned them. Some decisions were cold and final. Others still carried a faint residual heat, as if the writer might one day return and reclaim the words. I logged the temperature. I did not attempt to warm or cool it.
The building had no official designation. The authorities who still held the freehold had long since ceased to remember why the freehold was retained. Occasionally a surveyor would appear at the end of the service road, consult a device, frown, and leave again. The devices did not register the building as active. Activity, in their grammar, required a function that could be measured against current needs. Residual attention did not qualify.
I kept the hours that suited the material. Paper prefers certain qualities of light. Mid-afternoon was best. The light then was neither ambitious nor defeated. It simply arrived and remained long enough to be useful. I handled each item once, recorded the necessary observation, and returned it to its place. The act of returning was as important as the act of removal. Objects that have been abandoned once should not be abandoned twice without intention.
One winter a letter arrived that had not come through any post. It had been left on the threshold. The handwriting was unfamiliar. The content was a single sentence: I have measured the distance and find it sufficient. I filed it according to the existing arrangement. The decision that had produced it carried no residual heat. It was clean. I logged the cleanliness and closed the day.
I do not know who the previous keeper was. I do not know whether the archive is growing or merely holding its shape. Growth would imply a purpose beyond the residual. Holding is enough. The material does not ask to be understood. It asks only to remain where the decision left it.
I turn the key each evening and walk the service road back to the place where the maps resume. The maps do not include me. That, too, is a decision I have allowed to stand.
No comments:
Post a Comment